Temporomandibular joint disorder is a group of painful conditions affecting the jaw joint and the muscles that control its movement. There are a lot of unknowns about it, but one thing is certain: it is treatable, at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood and Murfreesboro TN.
Commonly shortened to TMJ or TMD, the disorder falls into three general categories.
- Myofascial. This form causes pain in the muscles used to control the jaw.
- Internal derangement. This involves a structural problem with the jaw and its supporting tissue.
- Arthritis. The degenerative joint condition can affect the jaw joint.
It is possible to have more than one of these conditions at the same time.
For many TMJ patients, their symptoms begin for no apparent reason. These symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw muscles
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Limited movement, or a lock of the jaw
- Clicking or popping sounds when opening or closing the jaw
- A misaligned bite
Any one of these symptoms does not mean you have TMJ, especially if it is only occasionally. But if there is severe, persistent pain lasting more than a few weeks, it should be checked out.
By some estimates, TMJ disorder affects more than ten million Americans, and it is more common in women than men. If you or a loved one is bothered by it, give us a call at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood and Murfreesboro TN. We use a TMJ X-ray for the most accurate diagnosis possible, and can develop a treatment plan tailored to the specifics of your case. Call us to schedule an appointment today!