There are many people for whom snoring is a common issue. If you or a loved one is one of them, there are many possible solutions, but there is not one cure for everyone.
If you are dealing with chronic snoring in your life–either yourself or a sleep partner–here are some suggestions from Sleep Apnea and TMJ Solutions and Our Dentist:
- Make sure you are at a healthy weight. Excess body fat often means excess throat tissue, which can cause the airways in the throat to narrow. If you have a more narrow airway, more vibrations can occur when you are breathing while sleeping.
- Keep up with good sleeping habits. Establishing a regular sleeping pattern can be very helpful in improving your overall sleep quality. If you allow yourself to get overtired, this can cause your throat muscles to be limper. When you breathe, the air moving over your lax muscles causes more vibrations, or snoring. You can also try another sleeping position or a body pillow to improve sleeping and breathing.
- If you have nasal congestion, try to clear it up. If your snoring is because of nasal congestion, you can try using a humidifier or vaporizer to help with dry airways. You can also try a Neti pot or nasal decongestants to help clear nasal passages. Keep animals out of the bedroom to reduce allergens from pet dander.
- Be cautious with what you eat and drink, particularly in the evening. Don’t eat too close to bedtime, and avoid heavy carbs, sweets, and carbonation before bedtime. All of these can lead to indigestion as well as snoring. Alcohol can also contribute to snoring.
- Call Our Dentist and Sleep Apnea and TMJ Solutions in Brentwood. He can offer you more advice on what you can do to stop snoring—and get a good night’s sleep!
Our Dentist treats TMJ disorder, sleep apnea, and snoring with some of the most advanced technology available at his Brentwood dentist office near Nashville. This allows him to diagnose individual patients accurately and treat them effectively. If you have any questions about snoring, sleep apnea, headache relief, or TMJ/TMD, give us a call today at 615-922-6056.