The word “apnea” is derived from Greek, and it literally means “without breath.” Sleep apnea, then, is a condition in which someone’s breathing stops involuntarily as they sleep. It is treatable at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN.
Sleep apnea is more common than you may realize, affecting more than eighteen million Americans, accordng to the National Sleep Foundation. It affects men more than women. Left untreated, sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure, headaches, and heart disease, among other conditions.
Types and Symptoms
There are three main types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type. It occurs when the throat muscles relax during sleep.
- Central sleep apnea is when the brain doesn’t get the body’s signals that control breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea is a combination of obstructive and central sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is more common in men than women, especiallly African-American and Hispanic men.
Anyone can get aleep apnea, even children. But it’s more common in men than women, especiallly African-American and Hispanic men. Risk factors include being over the age of forty, and being overweight.
The most common symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Gasping for breath during sleep
- Headaches in the morning
- Waking up with a dry mouth
- Excessive sleepiness during the day
- Shortened attention span
All of this may sound frightening, and it can be. But there is hope, too, because sleep apnea can be treated at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN. Treatment begins with an accurate diagnosis. If you think that you or someone you love has sleep apnea, please contact us today!