One of the maddening things about temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) is that their exact cause (or causes) still hasn’t been identified. If we knew its cause we just might be halfway to finding the best prevention. In the meantime, there is effective treatment for TMD at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN, and even some things you can do on your own, in the short term.
TMD is a painful condition, and it generally occurs when when the joints on each side of the jaw don’t work properly. It is also associated with pain in the ears or the neck, and even a headache.
Indicators of TMD include the following:
- A clicking sound as you open or close the jaw
- Reduced jaw movement when chewing or speaking
- Teeth grinding or jaw clenching
- Headaches, neck aches, or jaw pain
If there’s any good news here, it’s that it isn’t uncommon for TMD symptoms to be temporary. Symptoms often respond to simple treatments you can do at home, and in some cases even go away on their own. On the flip side, though, they can also come back.
An accurate diagnosis is the first step toward recovery. We can make that diagnosis at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions. In the meantime, there are some things you can do at home to minimize stress on your jaw:
- Try keeping your face relaxed, with lips together and teeth apart
- Avoid grinding and/or clenching your teeth
- Massage your jaw, cheeks and temples daily
- Eat soft foods
- Take small bites and chew on both sides of your mouth
- Buy ergonomic furniture
- Stretch frequently
- Never bite on hard objects, such as ice or pencils
As noted, the key to successful treatment begins with a proper diagnosis. At Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN, we use advanced diagnositc technology for accurate diagnosis that leads to effective treatment. If you are suffering with TMD, or suspect you might be, please contact us today to see how we can help.