Sleep apnea is more common than you might think: more than eighteen million adult Americans cope with it, according to the National Sleep Foundation. The good news, if you can call it that, is that the treatment available at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN can ease the symptoms.
There are three types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea. The most common form, it is when the throat muscles relax during sleep, blocking the sleeper’s airways.
- Central Sleep Apnea. This happens when the brain doesn’t send the right signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome. This is a combination of Obstructive and Central sleep apnea.
What each have in common is that people with sleep apnea stop and restart breathing as they sleep. This deprives the brain of enough oxygen and can lead to other, serious health issues, including cardiovascular disease.
The most common signs of Obstructive and Central sleep apnea include:
- Loud snoring
- Repeated breathing stoppages during sleep
- Gasping for air while asleep
- Waking up with a dry mouth, and/or headache
- Sleepiness during waking hours
Some of these symptoms, of course, can only be observed by a bed partner. The presence of one or two of them does not necessarily mean you have sleep apnea. But if you have any of these signs, it is time to take action.
The first step to treating sleep apnea is diagnosis. Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN specializes in sleep apnea treatment. If you think that you or someone you love has sleep apnea, do not hesitate to contact us today.