You can’t pronounce it, but you think you may have a condition you learned about after searching the Internet: temporomandibular joint disorder, which, thank goodness, is usually shortened to TMJ or TMD. The symptoms you found match your own symptoms. TMJ disorder is treatable at Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN.
The symptoms that have been nagging you include:
- Frequent headaches
- Clicking or popping when you open or close your jaw
- Muscle pain in the face, jaw, neck or shoulders
- Facial swelling
You Are Not Alone
Millions of Americans have TMJ disorder. Researchers don’t know why, but up to ninety percent of those who have it are women. Even more specific, most are women in their childbearing years.
While the symptoms affect more than just your jaw, the temporomandibular joint is central to the condition. The TMJ is the joint connecting your jaw to your skull, and is a complex of muscles that allow you to speak and chew.
What Causes It?
For many people with TMJ, the symptoms begin for no apparent reason. But likely causes include:
- Trauma to the jaw
- Stress, and the jaw clenching or teeth grinding that can result
- Medical conditions. Arthritis is more common in women than men. Fibromyalgia may also contribute.
- Hormones. There may be a connection between estrogen, pain, and jaw joints.
- Joint structure. Collagen, the fibrous protein in the disk between the joint’s ball and socket, is different in women than in men.
The key to successful treatment is a professional diagnosis. At Poss Sleep Apnea & TMJ Solutions in Brentwood TN, advanced technology gives the most accurate diagnosis possible. For those with TMJ disorder, we customize a treatment plan with short and long-term solutions. Please call us to schedule an appointment.