Approximately 3-7% of men and 2-5% of women suffer from sleep apnea, and at Sleep Apnea and TMJ Solutions in Brentwood and Murfreesboro TN, we know how stressful this condition can be. The anxiety of falling asleep scared of your own body is one we do not take lightly. This is why we have put together a list of tips for treating sleep apnea at home.
5 At-Home Tips for Sleep Apnea
- Try to maintain a healthy weight. Sleep apnea problems are more common in overweight Americans.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking of any kind. If you partake, try to cut back. If you already don’t do these, keep it that way!
- Buy a humidifier and set it up near your bed. These can often help with respiratory blockages while sleeping and can be found at most major appliance retailers.
- Change your usual sleep position. Readjusting your body can help free up your breathing canal.
- Exercise. While this last one might sound unrelated, regular exercise can help strengthen your heart and increase your energy levels, which can affect sleep apnea symptoms. Yoga is a relaxing, accesible option.
It is important to note: these tips are not a replacement for a dentist’s professional opinion and treatment. If your symptoms are serious and interfering with your life, contact Sleep Apnea and TMJ Solutions in Brentwood and Murfreesboro TN for a consult. Patients come to us for snoring and TMJ headache relief as well. We are ready to help you regain your peaceful sleep. Request an appointment today!